Thursday, February 11, 2010

Knitting Olympics.



Yarn Harlot is organising the Knitting Olympics again. I did this last time, back in 2006 and it was really quite exciting given that I'd only just learned how to knit socks. In fact I think I blogged daily about my progress, lol.

This time round I've decided to make Liesl (Ravelry link)by Edinburgh based designer Ysolda Teague. I've met her briefly at a couple of local events and really, it's about time I knitted something designed by her! Also I've been feeling the need for something a bit more crafty-looking than my usual black to wear at spinning demos and Liesl looks like it would be nice and airy to wear over a (black??) t-shirt, no?

I suppose if I'm intending to wear this to spinning events I should have spun the yarn for it? Aye right. Actually I would have done but the idea only occurred to me yesterday and the Olympic opening ceremony starts 2am GMT on Saturday so not much chance of that, oops. Maybe for the 2014 Olympics. Instead I've decided to use this...



...which is the Noro Kureyon I got in the p/hop swap at York two weeks ago. Ah, I've not blooged about that yet, have I? Sorry. There's an article here, and some good pictures on The Yarn Yard's blog, here and here.

Anyhow. I know at least one depressingly fast knitter has managed to make Liesl in four days. I can't knit that fast. I'm a very slow knitter and what's worse, for ten of the seventeen Olympic days my kids are on half-term break. So it will be a challenge to knit this in the time allowed. But that's what it's all about, yes? Challenges?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That'll be lovely! Liesl is such a quick knit and my favourite of all the Liesl's I've seen was knit in Kureyon...

Liz said...

That's going to be lovely. If I hadn't already signed up for two events at the Ravelympics, I'd be right there... Good luck with it!!

Thea said...

I didn't know Ysolda lives here. She designs really nice knits. Your liest is going to look great!