Friday, November 13, 2009

Crikey...actual knitting.

Well, with some actual knitting content today....

I've not been knitting much over the last weeks. Life is busy and come 10pm all I can do is slump in front of America's Next Top Model (compulsive viewing in this house) and pick my way round a plain sock for twenty minutes. Then go to bed. I have three sweaters all at the stage of front and back completed, but do you think I can make the effort to start knitting the arms? ZZZZzzzzzzzzz......

However when we were up buying Lad his winter jacket at Mountain Warehouse (great place for genuinely warm, waterproof jackets) he spotted this.

Now I'm absolutely b****red if I'm going to stump up £19.99 for a nasty acrylic knitted hat, even if they are on Buy-One-Get-One-Free. But he did look remarkably good in it, in a sort of crazed muppet way. Isn't it amazing what teenage boys want to wear? I rejected a pair of Lee Cooper lace up black sneaker type gym shoes the other week as being dorky, only to discover they were the latest fashion craze around these country parts and had to go back to the shop to get them. (They were dirt cheap so I did not mind.)

Anyway, I said I'd knit him a hat. He came home from school the next day looking expectant so I had to get up to the attic asap and find something suitable. I came up with two balls of Rowan Plaid in an alpaca/merimo/acrylic blend, in Soft Kelp.




It's nice stuff to knit on and I'm using 7mm needles so it should be a quick knit. (Well, for anyone but me...) I'm using the Earflap Hat Pattern Generator.(Ravelry link.)

Here's the socks...



I only have 15 rows plus toe shaping to go on the second sock, so might finish by Christmas, eh? The yarn was a gift from Thereyougothen on her summer visit back from Chile. The lucky so and so apparently lives round the corner from an Araucania outlet shop. This yarn is (I think) Araucania Ranco...lovely bouncy yarn, anyway, and a great colour. I "enabled" Thereyougothen to start knitting socks when she was ill, come to think of it, so these ones have good associations for me.

4 comments:

Dawn in NL said...

I like the socks! You have to take the opportunity to knit for a teenage boy when he actually *wants* you to knit for him. Are you going to line it with fleece?

All the best
Dawn

Mary Lou said...

I just did a super bulky hat pattern for the shop because so many were coming in with exactly the same reaction as you did with your son. I did an easy peasy type, but I must check out the generator for my own project. Looks great!

Helen said...

An Auracania outlet shop? I can't bear it. They had a little at Coldspring Mill when I visted it and I thought I was going to faint with excitement. I don't think I could stand a whole shop.

Anonymous said...

The only place you can buy Araucania yarns in Chile is in a tiny shop on the equivalent of George Street. It's upstairs from a little jewellery boutique on a street full of designer shops. I think it fits in just fine.
But - I can't figure out why they don't sell their yarn all over the country!
I can't let myself go in very often either, since even though the yarn is affordable here, I already have a lot of it!
Your socks are looking gorgeous, be careful though, my swanky new washing machine defaults to 60 degrees. Guess what happened to Thomas's Ranco socks...
Let me know what I should bring back next year!
(the captcha for this entry is "skabbi" I take exception to that.