Monday, January 29, 2007

Avalanche coming....

I thought I was going to have a quiet week. We`re still waiting for the official council permission to fit the new windows. Even when we get permission, we still have to wait a few days while the windows get made in the workshops, right?

Wrong.........

I phoned the Council today to find out the status of our application. Passed, paperwork will be with us in a couple of days. Great, then we can get the windows made. This afternoon, Boss Builder Man appears. Windows are ready. Start fitting them tomorrow?

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Seems like the builders took it upon themselves to get ahead of the game and have the windows built before official permission came through. Oh well, their risk because we wouldn`t have had to pay for the work when we hadn`t ordered it and permission was denied.

And in some ways it`s better when an avalanche hits not to have too much warning of the event...less time to panic and run around like a headless chicken wondering what to grab first. In this case, it`s everything. Everything loose or vunerable to dust in the room, furniture within two metres of the attack/window areas and the curtains. Grab, bag and throw into other room. Next day, repeat. They are going to do two windows per day...we have twelve windows, so that makes six days. I get this Wednesday off to do the kitchen and living room, because they all open into the same space. After that, I`ll be stripping two rooms a day whilst trying to get the completed rooms habitable again. Plus, of course, look after kids, run the house and have a pee occasionally. (Memo to self...find camping pee bucket for the day they`re putting the bathroom window in.)

Tomorrow: Stair and bathroom windows.
Thursday/Friday: Two windows in kitchen, living room, Mairi`s bedroom.
Monday: Study, master bedroom.
Tuesday/Wednesday: Duncan`s bedroom, three windows in lounge.

My heart fails me at the thought of all this, it really does. But as I said, better it just sneaks up on you and POW...it`s happening. Like labour. Remember to breathe, and keep pushing. It will end eventually.

Wish me luck. I may be away for quite a time....except, of course, there`s more than one PC in this house, and fortunately they`re in different rooms. So you may wish to avoid looking at this blog, in order not to see the weeping....

And yes, this may count as Official Emergency Fig Roll Time.

7 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Congrats on getting approval. Wishing you luck! Take care! Rest whenever you can.. and KNIT a bit. Spinning might get a little too dusty. :o) The new windows will be soooo worth it. But you know that...

gourdongirl said...

Oh boy. Not much warning, but as you say, better that than procrastinating then a mad panic!

How many boxes of fig rolls?

rho said...

Ok hit the store load up on fig rolls (which I haven't had but they sound fantastic) chocolate, coffee or tea and if it were me a really good Scotch (medicinal purposes only to help me sleep at night)

Come here and vent away - we will TOTALLY understand -- and just think no worrying about it ahead of time and stressing about all you have to do and in 6 days or a week it will be over ....

I hate hate hate word verification ---

Nickerjac said...

I hope it all goes ok, it all sounds very stressful maybe we should warn your local supermarket that they should order an extra batch of Fig Rolls this week :)

LornaJay said...

Emergency hot chocolate with extra marshmellows sounds more like it!

Just a polite note to say 'tag, you're it'. If you'd like to play, the details are on my blog.

dianemulholland said...

Yowch! Make sure all stash and spinning wheels are well protected won't you :-D

Sam said...

I say stock up on the fig rolls. Or chocolate (which gets my vote :)

I got my prize yarn in the mail today....it's absolutely gorgeous!! I don't know how you managed to mail it away. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands!! The colors couldn't be more perfect if I had chosen it myself. Thank you, thank you!!